Thursday, December 7, 2006

Adventures in Letterpress

Welcome to my new blog - Adventures in Letterpress. The name basically describes what I have been doing in my spare time lately - learning to use my new Kelsey letterpress.

I am a graphic and web designer based in Vancouver, Canada, and after taking a summer letterpress workshop at Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, I was hooked.

Thanks to
Jim Rimmer, renowned type designer, book designer, publisher, and illustrator, and principal of Pie Tree Press and Rimmer Type Foundry, I recently acquired a beautiful Kelsey letterpress. I am positively thrilled to now own our very own press, and I am very grateful for all the help Jim has given me in starting up.

I fell in love with letterpress printing the first time I had designed an invitation for printing on a local printer's Heidelberg. I watched as he set up the press and the mechanics were intriguing. Since then, I have designed many items for letterpress printing, but always wanted to try it myself - and maybe eventually get my own press. It took me about 3 years to get organized and find one, but I did , and it is now in my basement.

As a beginner, I have much to learn, but I have been lucky to find other people like me in the same situation - learning about an art form for which there are few teachers and supplies/tools are expensive and difficult to come by. I hope this blog is useful for others who are just starting out.

3 comments:

  1. what a great blog you got going here! i'm in that same boat...just dying to get my hands on my own but have never done it, just know people who have...i hope it won't take me long to learn and own but i have to keep telling myself that patients is a vertue! i look foreword to checking back on your blog and your letterpress endevors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely an interesting blog. I am also in the same boat. I have acquired a Kelsey Excelsior and am looking for someone to help me with it. I am also a graphic and web designer and do my own stationery and wanted to incorporate letterpress. I had spoken to someone who offered to give me private classes on my press but that fell through and I've been very frustrated. I may be going to the Center for Book Arts in NYC for a workshop to get started but I'm very eager to get going! Hope all goes well with you. I'll definitely be by to read about your adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to be referring to your blog-I just discovered it tonight. I just bought a Kelsey press and it has not even arrived in the mail yet! But, I am so excited! Can't wait to read all about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...