Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Questions about Crisco...

Just wanted to respond to Kathleens' post in the comments...

I read about using Crisco on another blog (sorry, can't remember which one) a while back, but I remember someone at the college saying they used it as well. It works fine for both oil and rubber base inks - actually, I think it works better on the oils (in my experience anyways, rubber ink always seems thicker).

Overall, I think it works very well - it might take a couple more wipes than say a chemical cleaner would, but it's worth it in terms of saving yourself from breathing in fumes. I also don't have to worry about how I dispose of my rags. And a big jug of Crisco at Costco is maybe $4.00 or so.

If you don't like the idea of just using Crisco, you could do a quick clean with Crisco to get the bulk of the ink off your rollers and disc, then do a quick wipe with the chemical cleaner. Personally, I just stick with straight Crisco.

Be careful about how you store rags soaked in chemical cleaners (or oils) as they can be a serious fire hazard. No one wants a spontaneous combustion! For tips see this page: http://www.westmetrofire.org/index.cfm?main.page=article&catid=15&detailsid=86

Now as for cleaning my filthy hands after working with the press, I find Sunlight dish soap cuts the ink very nicely. If I were smart, I'd use latex gloves, as I've seen some printers do, but I'm just not that organized yet.

Happy letterpressing!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your Crisco info—so helpful. I think I may try it on my next run on the press!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of using Crisco (or one time Canola oil when I was out) to clean my press. Then to clean up anything that's extra greasy I use a bit of Simple Green. Both are non-toxic and much safer for the environment - and for me. And together they do a terrific job of getting the press nice and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've run across a few blogs that mention using Crisco to clean rollers, my question for you is if you're able to wash and re-use your rags after using Crisco to clean? Or do you dispose of them? I'm getting my first press this week and am looking for some long-term solutions for my studio, such as the cost of saving on rags. Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...