Thursday, September 6, 2007

Giving thanks...


Just a little update - our work has been featured on Mixed Plate, a blog by Liana who is based out of Honolulu, Hawaii. (Mixed Plate is not
to be confused with Aloha Mixed plate, a tasty eatery I have frequented in Lahaina - though Liana's blog is tasty too!). Her blog features new and upcoming artists and designers and we are thrilled she loved our "Something Borrowed, Something Blue" card that is still available on Etsy (we're running out though, thanks to Mixed Plate and PoppyTalk!).

With all the craziness (re: busy) that is going on at the studio, and in day-to-day life, I thought I'd take the time to give a little "shout-out" to all those who have helped me get to where I am with letterpress. It is important to thank those that helped me along - especially in a field where there is no easy-access instruction manual. I still have a lot more to accomplish and to learn, and I'll keep on trucking.

I'm sure I'll forget someone in my list, so I'm a bit scared to make one. Nevertheless, many thanks to:

  • HOW Magazine - Years ago, in one of their design annuals, I spotted a letterpress wedding invitation. I fell in love, and this one photo started my obsession.
  • ECIAD - Where I took my first letterpress workshop and really got addicted.
  • Jim Rimmer - My letterpress instructor at ECIAD who continues to give me wonderful advice and assistance, and who gave me my first press.
  • Dave Menzies - Who recently sold me his lovely C&P, with which I plan to expand my studio and service offerings.
  • Kathleen at Cake & Pie - Who offered me answers to some beginner's questions about getting an impression on my Kelsey and Boxcar plates.
  • Megan at Megan Creates - A fellow letterpress printer who has helped me with advice and silly paper cutter questions :)
  • Paul Wood - A fellow letterpress printer in BC that was also a student of Jim Rimmer. Thank you for your advice!
  • Ryan at Unison Press - for giving me tips on moving my new press.
  • Salmon's Transfer - The only moving company in town willing to take on the move of my C&P and did a great job getting her down the stairs.
  • Kevin at Jazyrain Design - For lots of advice on getting started! Thanks for letting me pick your brain.
  • All the HOWies! Thanks for the feedback, and advice - especially on craft fairs!
  • Briarpress.Org - And all the wonderful people that participate in the discussion forum.
  • LETPRESS Listserv - Just reading these daily listserv messages has taught me so much.
  • Readers of the AIL blog that have provided advice and feedback.
  • Etsy members that have bought my cards! Thank you for your purchases!
  • All the bloggers out there that have featured my work - many thanks!
  • My friends and family that came to my first show. And, Nikki Scott, who helped me launch Sunlit Letterpress at Got Craft.
  • My great-grandfather, who unknowingly passed the printing gene on to me.
  • My parents who encouraged me to start my own design studio and to jump in with both feet into the printing business.
  • My husband who supports me in all my endeavours and really pushed me to get moving, get off my arse and start selling my work!
Phew! Happy letterpressing!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Erin,

    Honoured to be on your list. We'll have to meet up one day. You're welcome to come by my studio and talk shop if you're ever in the area. Until then we'll see you around the web.

    Cheers,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet!!
    And there's no such thing as a silly question! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...