Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Something Blue




Hello letterpress lovers! I hope this post finds you enjoying the summer months – can you believe it's almost August? We've had good weather here in Vancouver for the most part, with the exception of a couple of rainy and colder days last week – but overall we can't complain!

Above are a few photos of a new design we created specifically for weddings. We had a very popular "Something Blue" card in our greeting card line for some time now; but it is a more symmetrical and square design. I wanted to do something new with "Something Blue" that was more organic and light. So, here it is - as a letterpress greeting card (for all those wedding gifts or maybe to congratulate someone's engagement), and as an art print at 5" x 7" and in a larger size at 8.5" x 11". The larger size letterpress print has a decent amount of room around the edges, so the print could easily be placed on a table for wedding guests to sign in the white space, and then framed after the wedding as a keepsake (i.e. instead of or in addition to a traditional guest book).

Since July is our quietest month of the year, I have been spending some time putting together some new card designs and art prints, and thinking up some new product ideas for the fall and holiday season. I am trying to follow my intuition more and design pieces that I love, rather than necessarily just try to design things that will sell. This year I've really felt torn about where I am going with my business, and where I see things in 5 years, and I'm trying to get back to my own style and develop it further.

I've also come to the decision that we need to officially offer digital printing options for our clients. When I started this business, letterpress was experiencing a true revival and I was, and continue to be, happy to participate in and promote this period of renewal of traditional printing. Letterpress is in my veins (my great-grandfather was also a printer) and it will always be my first love; however, I realize that by not offering a mainstream printing option as well, I am losing potential clients and missing out on the opportunity to create pieces that cannot be accommodated by letterpress printing. In some ways I feel like a traitor to my craft (holy guilt complex!), but I am excited and enthusiastic about offering new options for our clients.

We are in the middle of redesigning our website and blog, and creating a new online shop to serve you better. You will be able to order both our letterpress goods and digitally-printed stationery and invitations in our new online shop soon. I look forward to sharing it with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...