Friday, June 6, 2008

Monograms + More

© 2008 Sunlit Letterpress

It's Friday again - can you believe it? Where does the time go?

This week I worked on some new custom monogram orders (see photo above monogram in chocolate brown with kraft envelopes for Carron in Maryland). I also worked on a non-letterpress invitation for a luxury hotel in Victoria (BC) that is having an unveiling party for it's new renovations and restaurant opening. I really enjoyed designing that invitation - although I love letterpress, I do also design invitations for offset and digital printing - and switching back and forth is fun. When I get my hands on a hard copy of the invitation, I'll be sure to post.

This week I've been feeling a bit isolated - this happens every once in a while. Working for yourself is fun, but unless you have interactions with other people everyday, you can start feeling like a recluse. I guess it sort of comes with the territory - lots of designers, artists, and printers work alone. I've been looking at some local Etsy-related craft groups to join, but a lot of these are downtown, and I'm in the burbs. It would be great if there were a burb-centered group of designers that met every once in a while to talk shop. It would be an opportunity to meet new people who know what you're talking about (if I start talking about logo design with my friends and family, their eyes start glazing over). Where are all the suburban designers at? I can't be the only one :)

I've gotten a few questions lately from readers asking if they will be able to get a decent impression with a table-top press (specifically Kelseys). As I've noted in previous posts, the short answer is no. The long answer is - if you get good paper, pack your press right, print something with a small surface area, and try other tricks like dampening your paper before printing - you can sometimes get an impression. But, will you get an impression equivalent to what a floor model press could produce? No, sorry : (

In other news...One thing I am super excited about is that my husband and I finally picked dates for our trip to Asia in September. As long as I can remember I've always wanted to go to Japan. I have always been in love with Japanese design and art. My husband's co-workers tell me there is not only a printing museum in Tokyo, but also a paper museum. I can't wait to take in the architecture and bright signs and...I'll be on visual overload I'm sure.

By the way, if you are a member of Facebook and haven't joined the Sunlit Letterpress Facebook Group, c'mon down!

So that's it for now, happy letterpressing!

3 comments:

  1. Funny, I just read your recent blog entry about going to Japan, and then I went to Bloesem, and the first entry there was about a really beautiful looking shop in Kyoto.

    Thought I'd send you the link in case it's something you might like to see on your trip:

    http://bloesem.blogs.com/bloesem/2008/06/what-is-min-per.html

    Cheers!

    Chantel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet - thanks Chantel! I'll definitely be checking these places out!

    Best,

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally hear you on the isolation factor. It can get hard. Every once in a while I like to go out to lunch (like I used to when I worked at a 9-5 job). It feels nice to get out and have that for myself. I had noticed my husband saying "we went to lunch today for so-and-so's going away" or "to see the game" or whatever. I thought why not do the same on occasion? I shouldn't sit inside eating the same ol' thing every day by myself. I'm a social person so every so often I get antsy and sad. Those are the days I call friends from afar and it usually pulls me out of my funk.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...