Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Will Smith - Letterpress Repairman

© 2008 Sunlit Letterpress

I guess it has been a little while since my last post. Lots of stuff going on in the studio, but more design than letterpress printing at the moment. Nevertheless, I did try my hand at some perfect binding the other day, and the photo above is of a letterpress notebook that resulted from my efforts. It was a fun experiment.

So you're probably wondering about my post title - about Will Smith. Well, did you know that in an upcoming movie (Seven Pounds) he plays a man that wins the heart of a letterpress printer (played by Rosario Dawson) by fixing her broken press (a Heidelberg Windmill, affectionately named "the Beast" by Rosario's character). From what I've heard, Rosario's character is dying, but she still manages to fall in love with Smith's character when he fixes her press. How cute (well, totally cheesy actually, but still...). I'll go see it just because there is a press playing a leading role. Release date is December 8th.

The movie should be interesting - a couple of printers in the states apparently trained Rosario to run the presses so that she would be convincing in the film. I hear she was a good student and learned quickly. I wonder if demand for letterpress printing will increase after the release of the film?

In other news, I am planning a contest of sorts for this blog in the next coming week or so. If you've ever bought any of our stationery, please stay tuned for more info!

Happy letterpressing!

1 comment:

  1. You can read more about the International Printing Museum's involvement with Seven Pounds (we rented equipment and provided the technical consultants) at www.printmuseum.org. Great post!

    Rachelle W. Chuang
    Director of the Book Arts Institute

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...